Competency based interviews are intended to get the ideal from you, the applicant, although also satisfying the needs of the organisation to get the extremely most effective person for the occupation. There are some uncomplicated measures to make the most of yourself and have a significantly improved probability of accomplishment.
Get ready very well, but keep it smart
As prolonged as you know the occupation you are likely for, request for particulars of what you will be calculated towards. Ask for a established of competencies. Check with for a position description. This sets you up to thrive, not just since you are superior knowledgeable, but also because you have questioned – which will impress the conclusion-makers, just before you even get there!
Here is the time to use your possess encounters to create ‘stories’ which you can use in the actual job interview. These ‘stories’ are actual scenarios that you have been a aspect of, which around a time period of days and weeks beforehand, you create up. Possibly you will have 20+ first ideas.
Take the pretty ideal eventualities and create them out, bullet factors initial. Then flesh them out, while referring carefully to the competencies you’ve got been offered. It is awesome how you can ‘tune-in’ your scenario to consist of a lot of, if not all of the competencies. And if you cannot healthy them all in, there will be a use for them – later!
By looking through via your scenarios (and by now you need to not have far more than 6 or 7) you will familiarise your self with the contents, so nicely, that they will grow to be next nature – even in the frightening knowledge of an job interview.
In the Interview
There are some techniques in right here too!
- Applying your scenarios make just three crucial factors about what you’ve got been requested. Make them applicable and the ideal ‘weight’. Not also very long or too limited.
- Following that, depart house for them to inquire a lot more – which is what they are listening for.
- Say ‘I’ a good deal – they want to know what your private involvement and experience was, not ‘the team’ or ‘they’.
- Have enjoyment – whilst not contrived, smile and make some easy jokes, if you experience comfy with that – they want to employ joyful as perfectly as capable folks.
- Are unable to solution? Which is great. Make sure that you mirror on your shortcomings by saying matters like, ‘It’s a single of the 1st factors I want to acquire in my upcoming work – if you did your things on your scenarios and your competencies effectively ample, you will have lined 90% of the bases nicely and you may be forgiven for not getting ‘perfect’. If you are actually stumped – say so!
- Ask concerns – relevant, about their culture, aim on building you, opportunities – the favourable ‘peopley’ matters (recall it truly is your prospect to see if you want to get the job done with them!).
- Also question about existing troubles they may perhaps be going through – you did do your research on them, did not you?
Keep the whole issue mild, even as you leave at the conclusion. Have a conversation in basic terms – about anything at all! Do make positive that you inquire them some points that are about them – they will like it if you question them some open (what, how, when, where, who) standard issues about your new occupation! About anything great in the setting up or their apparel – choose as it arrives and do what feels snug!
Try to remember that competencies are there to help you and they offer a information-map for your competency dependent job interview good results!